Freiburger Fasnet

 


It all started one day before the actual event. My American friends from IES told me there was a parade going on in town in the evening that day or the day after. I decided to miss the one on the evening and go on the next day. I didn't do any type of research about the so called "parade", all I knew was that it started at 2pm on Sunday, February 12th. I went to the gym that morning and since I didn't have any data left on my phone, I decided to go alone to the parade to arrive in time. On the tram, I saw some german students with customs and decided to ask them about the parade. Not even 5 minutes passed and friends from their group showed up from different parts of the same tram! I couldn't avoid seeing the large amount of people gathered in the streets and as far as that point, these local students kept telling me about people with "masks" on the parade. Long story short, I ended up staying with them for 2 hours watching the parade and enjoying this community cultural event.



Die Freiburger Fasnet is an old tradition that comes back from the 1930's in the Breisgau metropolis. On Novemeber 11th, this carnival starts but only after 4 weeks people are allowed to use the "Häs"It is characterized by the reversal of otherwise valid rules, by disguises such as masks, carnival games, parades, reprimand customs, Heische customs, balls and dance events. The highlight of the Freiburg Fasnet is like almost everywhere in the south-west of Germany between the Dirty Dunschdig and Ash Wednesday. 



The Dirty Dunschdig starts with the "liberation" of the students were fools storm into the town hall, get the keys from the major and put a tree to commemorate the start of the carnival days. On Fasnetsamschdig and Fasnetsunndig the fools show themselves on the streets of the city centre. In particular, the Strooßefasnet (street carnival) on Sunday afternoon, the one I went, is particularly popular. On Fasnetmending, also called Rose Monday in the city, starts with fools awakening the citizens in individual parts of the city. On Fasnet-Zischdig (Tuesday) the finale is celebrated everywhere and the Fasnet is buried. Small children's parades take place at midday. On Ash Wednesday, jesters dressed in black come to launder the purse with funeral music. The next week after Ash Wednesday, the Old Fasnet declares the official ending of the Fasnet and it says "Goht degege", the next one carnival will definitely come. 





Being able to see this parade taught me the great cultural expression form of Germans and certain values that they want to inspire such as: spending time with family, drink in a positive environment, and respect for young and old folks. I have never seen something like this, in fact, I was surprised by how everyone at the parade would shout "Narri"(I am a fool)  and everyone watching, including me would shout back "Narro"( you are a fool). The friends I met were drinking and having a good time with old and young folks as well. I know there is an event like this in Chile called " La Fiesta de La Tirana" in the north but I never saw it. I believe it has similar components with the difference of this last one being of a religious background. 

Photo 1: Me and the friend I met. 

Photo 2: Masks that the fools wore.

Photo3: People drinking and eating in the town hall with a music festival. 

Photo 4:  Parade with a lot of fans. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Studentenwohnung in Freiburg

Berlin und die "Killer" Ideologien

Freiburg`s öffentliche Verkehrsmittel