Freiburg`s öffentliche Verkehrsmittel

 
In the last 50 years Freiburg has started to make great contributions to a more environmental-sustainable transportation scheme. In the lapse of the last week, since I first arrived to Freiburg, I have been astonished by the amount of bikes there is. I have never seen either in Chile or in the U.S a city this bike-friendly, which has triggered me to want to buy one for my stay. Besides the short distances in Freiburg, the city's architects have planned the perfect structures to facilitate ecomobility (walking, biking, and public transportation) to reduce carbon emissions and be an efficient "green" city. 
                                                                                                            
The first day I arrived, I saw these tram lines on the street and witnessed how people would cross the street passing right next to the trains. Cars and bikes also have their respective lanes and it is quite astonishing how much consideration the bikers have by the cars. People that are walking also have to be aware of the different lanes the city has laid out in order to share the space with bikers. I almost got runned over a bike the second day because of being listening to music and not focusing on the road. The person in the bike yelled at me who knows what and I learned a valuable lesson plus an unforgettable laugh.


Another thing that called my attention was that people are still using masks in public transportation. It reminded me of 2021, and I didn't expect that prior to my arrival. I think these experiences talk to the awareness Germans put into public health and risks when sharing public spaces. If a biker would be on the street slowing down traffic in Santiago or in New York city, I think they would be yelled at without another reason besides sharing a common space, rather than a valid reason, such as the irresponsibility of some... (shhhh). 

After my first week in Freiburg, I have noticed the small noise of cars, the clean environment practices, and the emphasis people who I share spaces with have about recycling. All these practices have called my attention and are different from what I have been used to in order to make their city, our city, more sustainable over time. I am super happy about what this city has to offer. Learning about the European Union, which all seems pretty new for me, and learning valuable global citizenship lessons have made me realize how fortunate I am to be here. It seems to be I am 5 years back in time when I first came to the U.S and learned their ways and different cultural practices. I am excited to see what this adventure has for me, and to be able to reflect on it, will make me grow as a person and record on paper how I am taking advantage of this unique opportunity. 




Photo 1: Bridge with a central path for bikes and lateral lanes for walking. 

Photo 2: Line of bikers waiting for the red light to cross. Common picture around Freiburg. 

Photo 3: Tram moving in the middle of the city in a common space. No underground transportation. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Studentenwohnung in Freiburg

Berlin und die "Killer" Ideologien